449 Auburn Avenue, NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30312
But We Must Speak: The Calling of the Black Church in this Critical Hour
Register for October’s ActivateU College Edition
Building Steps to Change
6 Principles of Nonviolence
Nonviolence is a way of life for courageous people.
- It is active nonviolent resistance to evil.
- It is aggressive spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
Nonviolence seeks to win friendship and understanding.
- The end result of nonviolence is redemption and reconciliation.
- The purpose of nonviolence is the creation of the Beloved Community
Nonviolence seeks to defeat injustice not people.
- Nonviolence recognizes that evildoers are also victims and are not evil people.
- The nonviolent resister seeks to defeat evil not people.
Nonviolence holds that suffering for a cause can educate and transform people and societies.
- Nonviolence accepts suffering without retaliation.
- Unearned suffering for a cause is redemptive and has tremendous educational and transforming possibilities.
Nonviolence chooses love instead of hate.
- Nonviolence resists violence of the spirit as well as the body.
- Nonviolent love is spontaneous, unmotivated, unselfish and creative.
Nonviolence believes that the universe is on the side of justice.
- The nonviolent resister has deep faith that justice will eventually win.
- Nonviolence believes that God is a God of justice.
6 Steps of Nonviolence
The Six Steps for Nonviolent Social Change are based on Dr. King’s nonviolent campaigns and teachings that emphasize love in action:
- Information Gathering
- Personal Commitment
- Direct Action
The Beloved Community
The Beloved Community, as described by Dr. King, is a global vision, in which all people can share in the wealth of the earth. In the Beloved Community, poverty, hunger and homelessness will not be tolerated because international standards of human decency will not allow it.
Racism and all forms of discrimination, bigotry and prejudice will be replaced by an all-inclusive spirit of sisterhood and brotherhood.
In the Beloved Community, international disputes will be resolved by peaceful conflict-resolution and reconciliation of adversaries, instead of military power. Love and trust will triumph over fear and hatred. Peace with justice will prevail over war and military conflict.